Sunday, September 1, 2013

Book #22

The Way of Kings

Brandon Sanderson


This was a very long book. At a hefty 1200 pages, this epic fantasy was super slow until the very last 200 pages. This was one of the five book club books for the summer and I am just glad to be done with it. I don't own a kindle or a nook, and carrying this thing around was hard. 

I didn't love it. Sanderson created an entire new world here, which is a remarkable feat, and in no way am I undermining the creativity and dedication that had to go into that. But there was just so much new information being thrown at you, it was hard to enjoy it. It got super good half-way in, and I didn't mind the weight of the book anymore and it was the only thing I was reading. So the question is, why am I left saying that I didn't love it? "The Way of Kings" is rumored to be one of ten books, a giant series, taking the place of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time", which Sanderson ended upon Jordan's death. Because of the story arc planned for "Kings", Sanderson left questions unanswered and dropped huge bombs at the very end that left me super excited but super annoyed. To sum up my feelings; I don't want to wade through another mediocre thousand page book for the really awesome part of the story.

Anyways, in celebration of my finishing "Kings", I bought three new books today! Three books that are not my usual genre or style, but this blog has made me really reconsider my usual reading pattern, and my tastes. Although I will not read 100 books in a year, I will have gained a new appreciation for all sorts of books, which in my opinion is an awesome lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment